As many people are heading off on summer holidays or on trips away for Christmas, it is timely to provide some tips on protecting your property from theft. A home that looks empty is an easier target for burglars because they are less likely to be disturbed and the offence might go undetected for days or even weeks.
Criminals always look for signs that a home is unoccupied. The key is to make it look like someone is at home even when you are away. Before you head off there a few easy things you can do to prepare your home:
- Leave a radio on and tune it to a talk-radio station
- Use a timer on lamps to make as if look like someone is home
- Cancel deliveries, such as newspapers, or have someone you trust collect them
- Ask a trusted neighbour, relative or friend to empty your letterbox and take your bin out and in, even if it is empty
- If you’re going away for a long time, arrange for someone to mow your lawn